Potassium hydroxide has many different functions and uses.
1. It is primarily used as an intermediate in industrial manufacturing processes, such as the manufacture of fertilizers, potassium carbonate or other potassium salts and organic chemicals.
2. It is also used in the manufacture of detergents and in alkaline batteries.
3. Small-scale uses include drain cleaning products, paint removers and degreasing agents.
4. manufacture of liquid soap;
5. mordant for wood;
6. absorbing CO2;
7. mercerizing cotton;
8. paint and varnish removers;
9. electroplating, photoengraving and lithography;
10. printing inks;
11. in analytical chemistry and in organic syntheses.
12. Pharmaceutic aid (alkalizer).